Monday, April 11, 2011

Sausage and Rigatoni

Tonight I went to the gym, did my 5 miles on the elliptical and some of strength training, before heading home to cook supper.

One of the biggest parts of making healthy meals requires planning ahead.  I already had all the ingredients for this dish and the sausage was in the fridge ready for me.  No thawing, or trip to the store. 

This whole meal, Zucchini & Corn saute included, took less than an hour before I was sitting down to enjoy.  (And that included picture time too!)

Remember I am cooking for my health, therefore, this is not pork sausage.  This product is purchased at Sam's Club.  It is Member's Mark Mozzarella & Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage.  (It's gluten-free for those that care.)

Let me clarify. I AM A SAUSAGE LOVER.  That said, let me tell you, "This is good stuff"!!
( I grilled one the other night just to eat like a Brat and it was wonderful.)

For only 120 calories and 2.5g of saturated fat, these will be in my fridge and freezer for a while. Alright, alright, enough commercials.  On to the meal.



Ingredients

·         1 1/2 tsp olive oil
·         1 cup bell pepper, chopped
·         1 medium onion, chopped
·         2 medium stalks celery, chopped
·         2 cloves minced garlic
·         6oz mushrooms, sliced
·         1oz white wine
·         3 chicken sausages: Mozzarella & roasted garlic, sliced
·         1 15oz can diced tomatoes
·         1 15oz can tomato sauce
·         1 tsp dried basil
·         1 tsp dried oregano
·         10oz whole wheat rigatoni pasta
·         2 Tbsp Kraft grated parmesan
Salt & Pepper to taste (not included in nutritional guide)

Directions-

In a large skillet or dutch oven sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, heat olive oil over medium high heat.



Add first 4 ingredients and saute until softened and clear. Then add mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes before adding white wine. Allow to cook another 2 minutes.







Add chicken sausage slices cooking 3-5 minutes, stirring often.



Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, and parmesan cheese stir to blend all. When the sauce is heated and begins to bubble lightly, reduce heat to simmer.




Cook 10oz of rigatoni as directed on package in a large pot.






Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and prevent sticking.



Then add pasta to skillet mixture, stirring to blend well.




  Salt & pepper to taste.  Divide into 6 equal servings.







ENJOY!  I sure did!










Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 6
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 318.4
  • Total Fat: 5.3 g   (2.5g saturated fat)
  • Cholesterol: 27.5 mg
  • Sodium: 948.8 mg
  • Total Carbs: 47.7 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 8.4 g
  • Protein: 18.6 g


1 comment:

shannon said...

I just wanted to say that I totally admire your efforts. There are some people in my life who I worry about & I wish they would just pay more attention. I don't think it always needs to be about "dieting", I just think if people think about what they are eating it curbs poor habits. With that said, I'm reading up like crazy right now starting with all of Michael Pollans books. It's good stuff.