Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday mornings

Saturday mornings are special aren't they?  This morning was one of those special Saturdays.  It was GAME DAY Saturday, as Natalie had a soccer game this morning.  Fortunately the 1st graders don't play until 10 o'clock, giving way to a nice leisurely morning.

It started with my bride rolling over, gently rubbing my back to wake me.  She whispers softly into my ear, "Do you remember how you made that special egg breakfast for Natalie this week before school?"  Which I mumbled from a far off dreamland, "uh huh".   She then sweetly responds, "MY TURN!", and pulls back the covers and proceeds to start the day!

April 26th will be 25 years of marriage, so I'm pretty sure I knew what she wanted for her special egg breakfast!




It starts with red onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and turkey sausage all chopped and sauteed in a tsp of olive oil.






I then lightly beat three eggs in a bowl, add a little water, and cook in a seperate skillet.  Adding the above ingredients along with shredded cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. 

The omelette is folded after lifting and swishing the egg to the bottom  and allowed to finish cooking while I slice the topping - fresh chopped tomato. 





If you recall, I'm trying to eat healthy, so my breakfast was a little different.  I used two egg whites instead of three whole eggs saving about 170 calories.  I, too, like the onions, peppers, mushrooms and turkey sausage, but I include crushed red pepper flakes for that added little bite.  I also incorporate my special egg mixture into a Thomas Light English muffin.




Natalie didn't win her soccer game, but she played hard, had fun, and got the most important thing - her after game snack and Easter Basket the coach's wife put together.

Yes, the day started off great and finished great with all three of us getting pedicures.  Yep, I'm a spoiled man.  :)

ENJOY!




1 comment:

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Looks delicious! I'm a huge egg fan and would even make this as a 'breakfast for dinner' option as well.