Monday, January 21, 2013

Meatless Monday: Quinoa Fiesta!


It’s time to try and get back to my healthy habits that I have been away from.  I’d like to blame the holidays and my son’s wedding and all the stress that goes with those, but the fact of the matter is – I just didn’t take care of ME.  Time to get back to the basics: Eat right and move often.
Tonight was a mixture of veggies that were in the fridge and pantry.  The only thing I had to pick up at the store was my optional item of cilantro. 

For those that have not tried quinoa (keen-wah), well you’re missing out.  This stuff has been around awhile as the ancient Mayans (you know the guys that ran out of room on their calendar and scared half the people on this ball called earth) used it.  Their army marched for days on the stuff.  I guess it will last me until breakfast!

Ingredients-
1 cup quinoa
1 2/3 cup of water
1 cube chicken bouillon  
1 small onion, chopped

7-10 baby carrots, diced

1 small bell pepper, diced

4oz. mushrooms, sliced

2 green onions

2 Tbsp. olive oil

2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced

¼ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
 
What to do-
In a small pot add water and bouillon.  Heat on high and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add the quinoa, cover pot and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.

While quinoa cooks, sauté all the other ingredients EXCEPT the tomatoes and cilantro over medium low heat in a large skillet.
 
 
 When the quinoa is finished, add it to the skillet along with the diced tomatoes and cilantro.  Mix well and serve with a side vegetable.  We had roasted broccoli.


ENJOY!

PS- I wasn’t so sure how my 8 year old Natalie would like take to this colorful meal.  My worries were not only put to rest after she ate one and a half servings, but after her shower asked if we had any more of that “stuff” left over. 

No comments: