Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chicken Burritos

 

I was so in the mood for Mexican, but let's face it, going to a Mexican restaurant is not so great on the waist line.  I mean a basket of chips and salsa while you order is over a 1000 calories, and who doesn't order at least another basket?

If you want it done right, do it yourself my dad would always say.  This is what I did to bring some Mexican flare into my healthy eating fare.

Ingredients:
2 Split chicken breasts, skin and excess fat removed
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Tbsp. Cumin powder
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
1 cup of prepared salsa (use more if you want it saucier)
5 low calorie tortillas.  (I use Tumaro's NY Deli Style 97% Fat Free- 80 calories)
shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, optional

How to:

Start by boiling the breasts.  When thoroughly cooked, cool, debone, and shred.  I actually boiled mine the day before then put them in the fridge for the next day.

Open and rinse the beans and corn (together is fine) in a collander in the sink. 

Heat a skillet with olive oil over medium heat.  Add the shredded chicken, salsa, and cumin powder.  Once heated, reduce to simmer.  Add beans and corn, stirring to mix and heat.

If you like it a little moister - add more salsa
 You meal is 'cooked' at this point.  It's time to wrap it up - literally.  The mix makes enough for five equally filled tortilla's. Warm your tortillas, and place the mix in the middle, add some lettuce and tomato.  Wrap it up.

 
Serve with some a few corn chips, cause some of that goodness is going to fall out!

Yes, I was so excited for Mexican I almost forgot the picture!


ENJOY!  The filling runs about 253 calories.

Nutritional Info for Filling(no wrap)
  • Servings Per Recipe: 5
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 253.2
  • Total Fat: 4.8 g
  • Cholesterol: 32.9 mg
  • Sodium: 1,699.8 mg
  • Total Carbs: 30.6 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 11.8 g
  • Protein: 19.4 g

2 comments:

PinayinTexas said...

It's always nice to be able to give in to your cravings in the comfort of your own home! Your chicken burrito looks so good, Richard.

Unknown said...

These look delicious!! Love burritos! I need to start cooking/baking some more to post on my blog, just been too busy lately, especially with traveling. You have inspired me to get back into it! I will try this one out for sure...the hubs will love this one!