Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lemon Pepper Trout with Vegetables

Yesterday was my baby boy’s birthday, so we ate out on the town last night.  Redbone Alley, a local eatery, is his favorite restaurant so that is where we went.  I did very well eating out,  I had a serving of their Spicy Chicken soup and a dinner portion Garden Salad with their homemade Fat Free Parmesan Peppercorn.  Yum!

Tonight I was cooking for only the bride and myself as the kids were eating hotdogs at church.  We heathens stayed home to have a dinner of wild-caught trout and a plethora of veggies and rice.  Can’t really say it was a romantic dinner for two since she was doing laundry and I was still “fresh” from the gym, BUT it was still some quality time talking without interruption.






I started with two 8oz filets of wild caught trout from my favorite grocer, Harris Teeter.  I sprayed a baking dish with non-stick spray, added the fish, then coated them with a little olive oil, fresh lemon squeezin’s, a pat of butter (broken) and a garlic pepper mix.   Set aside to marinate and preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Now sauté a chopped onion, 1 ½ cups of fresh sugar snap peas, 4oz chopped mushroom, 2 zucchini (sliced into rounds), and a tablespoon of olive oil.  Half way into the cooking of these I added a ¼ cup of vegetable stock to the pan. 

As these were finishing up I put the fish in the oven for 5 minutes, and cooked a package of 90 second microwave brown rice.  Yes, I use the 90 second rice.  I do this because it saves me time, and I can control the portions better than when I cook a pot of rice.
Add the rice to the skillet when finished and stir to blend with the veggies.  I also added a splash of soy sauce at this point for a little flavor. 
When the oven timer sounds, turn oven to high broil for 3 minutes.  (Keep an eye on the fish to prevent from burning them)
After three minutes, turn off oven, remove fish, and plate your meal! 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Can I come over for dinner? I promise not to be a bother and I won't comment on the fresh gym smell. That fish and the rice/veggie combination look fantastic. I really like the veggies you used (especially the zucchini).

SuzyEats said...

Wow. this looks great. I am always looking for new fish recipes.