Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pumpkin and White Bean Turkey Chili

I know, I know.  You're asking, "Pumpkin chili??"  To be honest, I asked the same question, but decided, "Hey, I like pumpkin... let's try it."

The first time I made this meal the reaction on the faces of my eldest boy and his mother were hilarious.  They came in from work, asked what smelled so good and gave me the old 'bitter beer' commercial face.  They tried it, and then proceeded to eat second and third helpings of my dish.

This is a very easy meal to prepare, and it can even be modified and used in a slow-cooker.


Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp olive oil
2 lb lean ground turkey
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp chili powder, to taste
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
2 (15 oz cans) of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
4.5 oz canned chopped green chile
3 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste






Directions:
In a frying pan coated with cooking spray, brown the ground turkey, adding ½ the cumin, salt and pepper.  In your chili pot, add olive oil and sauté onions, and garlic with remaining ½ of cumin.


When the turkey is browned and broken down into small pieces, add to the onion mixture in the chili pot.  Add the remaining ingredients – stir to mix well.  Bring to a boil on medium high heat stirring often. 
 

Reduce heat to simmer/low, stirring occasionally.  Let simmer for 45 minutes or longer to blend the seasonings. 


Serve with crackers or cornbread!

Enjoy!


No comments: