Friday, January 18, 2019

Mediterranean Salmon


Although I don't know where I first heard it, I've often used the phrase, "Those that don't like seafood have never had seafood that is properly cooked." 

I know. I know.  That's my opinion, and I understand there are many people that just do not LIKE seafood.  Yet.. one still has to ask, "How was it prepared?"  😀😀


Growing up, salmon was not a highly requested meal.  It's probably because the only way I'd ever eaten salmon was from a can. (Think Pink)  My dad would eat it on crackers, and my mom would usually shape it into salmon patties, then fried them in a cast-iron skillet.  My brother and I would covered these "seafood burgers" with creamed corn. Although this wasn't too terrible, I don't consider it to be truly a seafood experience, and can understand why some people could say, salmon is not a favorite. 

However, I found that fresh salmon is a whole other story! 

I came across this recipe as I was looking for a healthy way to cook the salmon filets my sweet bride had purchased.  This base recipe comes from the American Heart Association's Low-Fat, Low Cholesterol cook book.  The original recipe calls for discarding the marinade and grilling the fish.  Although that is certainly a valid, tasty way to prepare it, I went with keeping the marinade and baking it along with the fish.

Marinade Ingredients - enough for 3 to 4 salmon filet (4oz each)

1 or 2  Roma or Campari tomato, chopped fine  (I used two small Romas)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh Rosemary, chopped  (or 1 tsp dried, crushed)
1 Tbsp fresh Sage, chopped  (or 1 tsp dried)
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp grated lemon zest
¼ tsp pepper  (or more to your liking)
¼ tsp kosher salt

Put all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a fork or spoon.

Prepare your salmon.  Rinse the fish, and pat dry with paper towels.   ** If my salmon has been frozen, I often press the filet, wrapped in the paper towel,
between my hands.

In a Ziploc bag, place your salmon, then pour in the marinade. Toss, and move the fish around to fully coat with the marinade, then place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
When you're ready to cook, preheat the oven to 425F on BAKE.  Spray a glass baking dish or pan with PAM or other non-stick spray.  Remove the salmon from the bag and place in the dish/pan, then pour the marinade over the tops of the salmon.
Ready for the oven!
Place in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, depending on the thickness of the filet.  When the timer goes off, flip the oven from BAKE to BROIL.  Prop the oven door open so you can keep an eye on the fish.  The aroma could result in a bit of drool, use towels appropriately.

After a minute or two on broil, turn off the oven and remove the dish.  Serve with your favorite sides.

ENJOY!

Nutritional Info per serving:
Calories 144
Fat 4.5g
Cholesterol 65mg
Protein 25g




No comments: