Saturday, January 25, 2014

Brussels Sprouts and Sausage



I made this meal the other night for my bride and I.  There were enough leftovers for two more meals and we put them in separate containers.  The next day I took one out of the fridge to pack as my lunch at school.  After heating it up and getting half way through… I called my sweet bride to ask what she was doing for lunch.  With much disappointment and heartbreak I listened as she told me she was at home heating the other batch of leftovers in the toaster oven.   It wasn’t that I begrudged my sweet life partner the leftovers; it was just so sad that they were gone!   It left me no other option – I made more tonight!  This is in the top five of my all-star list of my home cooked meals.

Ingredients -
1-3 Tbsp.  Extra Virgin Olive Oil 4-6 small red potatoes
1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1 sweet onion, sliced
8 – 10 mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
2 – 3 Sam’s brand Italian Chicken Sausage, sliced
Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
What to do –
Add the potatoes to a pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

 
While the potatoes cook, trim and quarter the Brussels sprouts.  Place in a bowl and add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, pepper, and toss to stir.  Allow to marinate while finishing potatoes.


Coat a baking pan with non-stick spray.  Remove potatoes from pot and place on baking pan.  Using a potato masher mash those into cookie like shape.
Drizzle potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.  Cook for 20 minutes at 450.
 
While the potatoes cook place Brussels sprouts on another baking sheet coated in cooking spray. Turn as many as possible cut-side down.  
 
When the potatoes are done, put the sprouts in the oven and reduce the temp to 425 for 20 minutes.
 
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat a little oil, and then add onions, mushrooms, and sausage.  Continue to cook and stir.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

When the Brussels come out of the oven toss them into the skillet and stir to combine.
 
Serve with a potato masher and sausage mixture.  I like a little bit of mustard to mix with it.

Enjoy!  I know I will!

No comments: