Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Black Bean Soup

   Normally when I post about what’s cooking in my kitchen it’s because I’m the one cooking.  Last night I was treated to a home cooked meal from my sweet bride.  Now before I go any further let me just say, my bride is a wonderful cook, and she likes to cook on occasion.  With that disclaimer out of the way for my own personal safety, let’s see what delicious meal she prepared.  The recipe she used was a slight variation from the one found in ALL*YOU magazine January 2014 issue.
 
Ingredients-
1½ Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
4 carrots, diced (about a cup)
3 ribs of celery, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp.  Chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
6 cups chicken broth (your choice- low sodium, fat free, regular…)
4 cans black beans (15oz), drained and rinsed
Salt, Pepper, and Red Pepper flakes to taste

Top with-
A dab of Low-fat Greek yogurt (plain)
Sliced green onion
 
Directions-
First, warm oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, and then add onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, and celery, stirring occasionally until softened.

Add chili powder and cumin – sauté for 3-4 more minutes.

 
Stir in broth and beans, then bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes or so, stirring on occasion. 
 
Remove 2 cups of soup; puree in blender.  Stir pureed soup back into pot and cook for 5-10 minutes longer. 

Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.

Ladle into bowls and top with yogurt and green onions.   Serve with some salsa chips.

ENJOY!!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe.... it looks so delicious. I must try it soon. Thanks again ! Joyce Brinson !

Richard said...

Thanks for your comment Joyce!