Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Black Bean Tostadas

Ok, let's try just a simple blog post.  This dish was made for the son of a friend for his class at school.  The assignment was to make authentic meals from other cultures.  The assignment came with a recipe. Of course, I cannot follow a recipe to the T, so I had to add my own touch to the dish.

Here is the recipe as I made it.
 
Ingredients-
 
1 cup rinsed, drained canned black beans, mashed
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 cup washed, torn romaine lettuce leaves
1 cup chopped seeded tomato
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup plain nonfat yougurt (I think sour cream would be better)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped
4 - (8inch) tortillas
nonstick cooking spray
water for sprinkling on tortillas
 
 
How to-
 
Combine beans, chili powder, and cumin in a small saucepan. Cook 5 minutes or so over medium heat until heated through.
 
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray over medium high heat.  Allow to get hot, then sprinkle the tortilla with some water.  Place each in the skillet one at a time.  Cook for 20-30 seconds then flip once and cook another 30 seconds.
 
Spread bean mixture evenly over the tortillas.  Layer with the lettuce, tomato, onion, yogurt and peppers. 
 
Serve immediately.
 
Enjoy.
 
Serves four.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you are back, and these look delish!!!

Christy

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're back too! I smiled when I saw you in my google reader and hopped right over here. As always, I love your spin on the classic.

Richard said...

Thanks Christy. Sorry my Gamecocks pulled a Michael Vick on your bulldogs... ;)

Richard said...

Thanks Mom! That's funny. I've been wanting to say that for a long time...

Funny how you can really get down when you're the only one left from your childhood.