Friday, February 24, 2012

Poached Eggs in Marinara


Going through my new March '12 copy of the magazine COOKING LIGHT, I found on page 112 a recipe that really piqued my interest - eggs poached in tomato sauce with onions and peppers.  I'm an egg lover and have had them many ways, but I had never even contemplated poached in tomato sauce.  It sounded like a challenge. 

Wednesday nights are my nights for kitchen trials as the ladies eat dinner at church.  The food is usually not conducive to my lifestyle changes, so I experiment at home or eat the spicy stuff they will not.  This week I decided to put COOKING LIGHT's recipe to the test.

Of course, I've never been very good at following the rules completely.  I usually do in the spirit of the rules, BUT I almost always step out of bounds at some point.  I did with this recipe too.  I just can't follow one to the letter of the law.  (That's probably why I don't bake much - it has to be precise, where in cooking things are more forgiving)  I had to add MUSHROOMS!  I would probably attempt a mushroom flavored ice cream if I could make it low cal....

Enough blabbering...

Ingredients- (my version)

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large bell pepper (red or green or mix)
1 onion sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups marinara sauce ( I used Harris Teeter's Carmelized Onion sauce)
1 tsp dried oregano
4 large eggs
salt and pepper to taste
4 mini French bread rolls ( I used the whole wheat take 'n bake from Harris Teeter bakery)
4 tsp. shaved Parmesan cheese
6oz. mushrooms chopped
2-4 tbsp chicken broth (to keep things moist)

What now -

Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat.  Add olive oil to pan and swirl to coat.  Add peppers, onions and mushrooms, cooking for about 6 minutes or so. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring often.

Reduce heat to medium-low.  Stir in marinara sauce and oregano; cooking for 3 more minutes. 


(Here again I deviated from the recipe some as I was cooking for ONE and not four.)  I removed all the sauce except 1/4.  Reserve it for another day! I also only baked ONE French roll and saved the rest to go with the sauce for later)  So the recipe called for making four indentations in the sauce and break 1 egg into each indentation adding salt and pepper to the egg.  Cover and cook for 6 minutes or until the eggs have reached the desired degree of doneness.




Slice the baked French rolls in half and arrange on plates.  Top each with 1/2 cup of sauce and an egg.  Sprinkle each with cheese and ENJOY!

Yes, this is one I will be eating often... who'd a thunk it?  Poached eggs in tomato sauce.

Next time I think I'll put it over a whole wheat English muffin.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh this sounds and looks absolutely delicious!!!

SCK Recipes said...

looks scrumptious!!! and what a clever combo =)) thanks for sharing!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist said...

Ah! I saw that too and was SO intrigued! It looks amazing, now it look s like I need to try it!

Jenn said...

I love Basque Eggs and this is similiar to it with the inclusion of the mushrooms and marinara, I am def. going to have to try this, so glad I stumbled upon you via food buzz : )