Sunday, January 15, 2012

Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts


Ahh!  Asparagus - the stinky pee veggie.  Growing up my dad loved asparagus, but my mom was the main cook and she didn't like it.  He would every now and then get a can of it and cook it.  I remember trying it.  I remember thinking, "I will never ever in any lifetime put that mushy stuff in my mouth again!"   To this day I have lived up to part of that statement - I have never put canned asparagus in my mouth again! 

Fresh asparagus is a different story! I first braved asparagus during a business luncheon with Shell Oil Company a few years back.  I didn't get much of a chance as it was the only side served with the beef medalion.  With about as much anticipation of eating a slimy slug I tried a stalk.  After cleaning my plate, I slipped off to the kitchen during a break. ( I have never been afraid to slip off to the kitchen for some reason)  I spoke to one of the 'chefs' about the tasty green.  He said, "salt, pepper, oil, and heat".  I love it, and the family loves it.  Except the aromatics of the bathroom that is!

I also learned that you can stuff asparagus into some meats- steak, fish and of course, chicken.


Chicken!


Stress relieving tools needed..


Place the breast between two sheets of wax paper on a solid surface and bang away.  I use the iron skillet for most of the banging and the hammer for sections that won't quite cooperate.


Smash that sucker flat!


Add some salt pepper and garlic powder, then the stalks of trimmed asparagus.  Drizzle with some olive oil.


Wrap them up and put them in a baking dish. Sprinkle the tops with a little more of the seasonings and olive oil


Bake in a preheated oven (400 degrees) for about 25 minutes.
*always use a meat thermometer to test the doneness.


Serve with Magic Green beans and rice!


It's so good!


I topped this with a little of my left over Squash Sauce.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Nadia said...

This looks so delicious and healthy.Love it!!

Inessa said...

What a yummy recipe. Greens and lean meat. Nice!!!

Unknown said...

I must be one of those lucky few, because I've never tasted a stalk of canned asparagus, just the fresh, delicious stuff. I've also never attempted to stuff it into a chicken breast. That needs to be remedied. This looks delicious! (Stinky pee? I've never noticed that.)

easyfoodsmith said...

What a delicious and nutritious dinner!