Thursday, June 6, 2013

Summer Squash Bake


 YAY!  Summer is here!!  I love this time of the year because of all the fresh local produce like summer squash!  This squash came from one of our local county farms.  Now with that said, I don’t know much about the farming practices of this farm.  I don’t know if it’s GMO laden, or what herbicides, if any, are used or anything else.  I just know that I did support my fellow community member and his family. 
 
Whether you know the farming practices or not, you still have to wash the food.  I did so in my sink and scrubbed and rinsed after soaking it in a vegetable bath.  Then I went to work preparing what would end up as a side dish on our plates for the next two nightly meals.

Ingredients-
4-6 various summer squash/zucchini varieties
1 large red onion, sliced
2 slices 100% whole wheat bread, toasted
½ cup Trader Joe’s Fat Free Feta
Olive oil
Granulated garlic, salt and pepper to taste
Cooking Spray


What to do-

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray an oven safe baking dish with non-stick spray.  In your food processor, bullet, Ninja or even bean grinder, process the toast into bread crumbs.
 
Slice squash and place in a large mixing bowl adding small amounts of olive oil as you fill it with the sliced squash.  Slice the onion and place the slices in the bottom of the sprayed dish.  Drizzle or brush a little olive oil onto the slices of onions covering the bottom of the dish.  Add salt, pepper and garlic granules to the squash and stir.  I use my hands mostly here in order to not beat-up the slices to badly with the spoon.



Layer the squash slices in the dish on top of the onions.


Once the mixing bowl is empty of squash and the baking dish is full, there should be a bit of olive oil and seasonings in the bottom of the bowl. Add the bread crumbs, Feta and stir it well.


Spread this bread crumb mixture over the top of the squash and bake for about 40 minutes. 
 
Note – I added shredded parmesan cheese to the dish when I took it out.  Next time I will probably use a ½ cup of shredded mozzarella instead and place back in the oven for about five minutes.
 
Enjoy!

No comments: