Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pumpkin Porridge - Overnight Breakfast


Living in South Carolina, we do not get to experience bone-chilling cold all winter like other states - for that alone, I am thankful.  However, we do have our frosty, cold mornings on occasion and it so wonderful to awaken to the aroma of a hot breakfast permeating the chill in the air. 

This slow cooker breakfast fills the house with the smell of cinnamon, allspice, and pumpkin.  When you mix that with the magnificent life-giving aroma of the automatic coffeemaker you get a little glimpse of heaven I do believe.


This is a simple recipe, concocted by yours truly, was designed for my bride.  She is an avid oatmeal lover.  I am a stone-ground grits man by choice, but I partake of the oat if it is flavored and sweetened to my liking. (For example, I do like the Quaker Instant Oatmeal with Maple & Brown Sugar)  So... She loves oatmeal.  I love her.  We both love pumpkin.  I should be able to figure something out, right?

This is what I came up with:

Ingredients:
2 cups water
2 cups milk
¾ canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
½ cup Splenda
1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Allspice
1 ½ cups Steel Cut Oats
2 Tbsp. Honey
(Option- ¾ cup chopped pecans) I didn’t do it for this batch, but I will next time for just a little protein.
I know, many of you non-Irish southerners are asking right now, "What are Steel Cut Oats?"  In Ireland this is what is used to make porridge.  It is a little nuttier than instant or rolled and takes longer to cook.
 
So once you gather all your ingredients, this is what you need to do before you go to bed.
Prepare your crockpot (coat with cooking spray or use a crockpot liner)
Add all ingredients to the crockpot and mix well.
Cook on low for 4 hours.  (Make sure you have a crock that allows you to set the time to start, or one that switches over to warm to hold it for you.  Unless of course you only plan on sleeping for 4 hours.) 
Serve in bowls/mugs with a little extra honey drizzled over the top.
This recipe makes about six servings around 220 calories each.
 
Enjoy!
 




No comments: