Thursday, March 31, 2011

Breakfast - the most important meal of the day?

So if breakfast is the most important meal of the day, why do we normally skip it?

In the past I would usually skip breakfast waiting until I got to the office or somewhere/sometime when it is more convenient.  That would usually spell disaster for my healthy eating because I would make poor choices.  Decisions such as my favorite fried bologna and egg sandwich with mayo on white bread - sounds like a blocked artery already!

I found that if I ate breakfast as soon as I got up, or at least before I was ready to go out the door, I would make better choices in my eating.  I also discovered that if I eat before I left the house, I would not eat as much throughout the day!  I guess eating breakfast is important!

One of my favorite morning meals is a simple one, yet filling with flavor and texture:


I toast a Thomas multi-grain English muffin (100 calories).
While it is in the toaster I slice a ripe roma tomato (13 calories)  into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. 

When the hot muffin is ready spread Hellman's Low Fat mayo (15 calories) on one half of the muffin, insert the tomato slices, add salt and pepper to taste. 

The combinations of warm muffin, cool tomato, with the crunchy and chewy textures is delightful.  A breakfast sandwich you can take with you if you need to run too!  All for just 130 calories.

What do you normally eat for breakfast?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping all of us " healthy " ...